The Why: Garden-based learning gets kids outside, builds self-esteem, familiarizes student with how food plants and other flora grows in the city, and has even been shown to reduce stress and improve academic outcomes in the classroom. From poetry to the plant lifecycle to gardening, we have resources for you that will help you to integrate your school garden into your curriculum.
- Whole Kids Garden Lessons offer 35 lessons for grades K-5, covering seeds, planting plans, pests, pollinators, and food systems.
- Growing Minds suggests a children’s book to accompany school garden activities for each season.
- Edible School Yard offers both gardening and cooking lessons.
- Education Outside offers Science-based lesson for K-5, all aligned with the Next Generation Science Standards.
- Tips on keeping a Nature Journal