Green Schoolyards offer a multitude of benefits.
Why playgrounds (esp those design by the communities they serve) are important:
- Bright colors encourage imaginative play and get gets moving more.
Why parks and exposure to nature is important:
- Ecopsychology: How Immersion in Nature Benefits Your Health
- Parks are Cathedrals
- The link between Green Space and Mental Health in Children
- Kids who spend more time outside are more physically active.
- Experiencing nature reduces mental fatigue and increases the ability to focus.
- Exposure to nature improves sleep.
Why play is important:
- The Benefits of Play from Voice of Play
- NYT Parenting: Now’s a Good Time to Teach Your Kid’s to Play on Their Own
- The Atlantic: How The Coronavirus is Influencing Children’s Play
- Washington Post: Why it’s Good for Grown-Ups to Go Play
Why recess and P.E. are important: